Babhli issue: Mah Assembly adjourned twice for 20 mins
Mumbai: Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
was adjourned twice for 20 minutes each over the Babhli
barrage issue with the Opposition members shouting slogans
against Telugu Desam Party (TDP) Chief N Chandrababu Naidu.
As soon as the House assembled after a weekend recess,
Opposition members were on their feet and shouted slogans
against Naidu who was arrested in Nanded district for
violating prohibitory orders and refused bail last week.
They also displayed placards and raised slogans like
`Chale Jaao`. Later some ruling coalition members including
NCP MLA Jeetendra Awhad also joined in.
Naidu and his supporters have demanded that they be
allowed to visit the site of the project.
The Babhli barrage row between Maharashtra and Andhra
is presently being heard in the Supreme Court and the next
hearing is scheduled for August 10.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse urged Deputy
Speaker Madhukar Chavan that his adjournment notice over
debate on the issue be accepted.
He criticised Naidu for politicising the issue.
Second time, the House was adjourned by presiding
officer Jeetendra Awhad when the members came into the well
The former state Chief Minister and 74 party men were
arrested on Friday by Maharashtra police at Dharmabad during
the protest over the irrigation project in Babhli and remanded
to two days judicial custody on Saturday after they refused to
The Babhli barrage issue and arrest of TDP chief
Chandrababu Naidu also figured in the Maharashtra Legislative
Council today with House proceedings being adjourned twice.
The Leader of Opposition in the Council, Pandurang
Phundkar moved an adjournment motion on the Babhli barrage
issue and demanded immediate discussion on it.
While Shiv Sena leader Diwakar Raote, Congress MLC
Bhai Jagtap and NCP MLC Vinayak Mete and Gurunath Kulkarni
supported the motion, Deputy Chairman of the House Vasant
Davkhare refused immediate discussion on the issue following
which the House was adjourned twice for 15 and 20 minutes
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani