Babhli project: Chavan ignores Rosaiah`s request
Mumbai: Ignoring the request of his Andhra
Pradesh counterpart K Rosaiah to allow Chandrababu Naidu to
visit the Babhli irrigation project site, Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan Sunday appealed the TDP chief to
return to his state owing to the "sensitive" situation in the
"I have requested Chandrababu to return to Andhra Pradesh
as the situation in the area is very sensitive," Chavan
said here today.
Chandrababu is trying to politicise the situation,
keeping an eye on by-elections in Andhra Pradesh. He should
take bail and return to his state, Chavan said.
"He either has to go back or his custody would be
extended. But it is not correct to enter the state by breaking
laws and then call for a bandh in Andhra Pradesh," the Chief
Earlier in the day, Rosaiah spoke to Chavan urging him to
let a Telugu Desam Party team led by party chief Naidu to
visit the controversial Babhli barrage.
"The matter is sub-judice and the court`s decision has to
be respected," Chavan said, adding, "what is he going to
achieve by visiting Babhli barrage?"
The TDP chief and 74 partymen were arrested at Dharmabad
during the protest over an irrigation project in Babhli and
remanded to two days’ judicial custody yesterday after they
refused to take bail.
Meanwhile, local politicians have set up an All-Party
Action Committee on the initiative of Congress MP Bhaskarrao
Khatgaonkar and MLA Omprakash Pokarana.
Speaking to the media after the first meeting of the
committee, Khatgaonkar said, "We have requested the government
to ask Chandrababu to leave the place by tomorrow. We would
call Nanded bandh on July 20 if he does not change his stand."
"I also requested him (Chavan) to permit them to go
around and have a look at it. So, I told him please provide
necessary bandobast and help and allow them to go around,"
Rosaiah had said.
Naidu and the others, arrested on Friday night, were
offered bail by the court and asked to furnish a personal bond
for the release but they refused to take the relief, after
which Judicial Magistrate First Class Deepak Matha sent them
to two days judicial custody.
TDP has called a state-wide bandh in Andhra Pradesh
tomorrow in protest against the arrest of Naidu and 74
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka