Bachchan a victim of internal feud in Cong: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of the controversy
over the presence of Amitabh Bachchan at the inauguration of
Bandra-Worli sea-link, BJP today batted for the filmstar
saying he has become a victim of the "feud" in Congress and
"fear" of the Gandhi family in the party.
"The Bandra-Worli sea-link is a national property and
certainly not a property of the Congress party. Every Indian
has a right to be there. Undoubtedly, Amitabh Bachchan is the
nation`s pride and a distinguished Mumbaikar who has full
credentials to be the chief guest there," BJP spokesperson
Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
The Rajya Sabha MP criticised the Congress for
"generating a controversy" over invitation to Bachchan.
Resentment brewed in a section of Mumbai Congress over
the invite to Bachchan to the function where Chief Minister
Ashok Chavan inaugurated the sea link yesterday.
"It is beyond Indian tradition to invite and then insult.
Bachchan cannot be a victim of internal feud in Congress
party, in particular in Maharashtra and in general at the
national level," Rudy said.
The BJP claimed that though the invitation to Bachchan
had been sent by the NCP minister in charge of the department
concerned, the "fear" of the Gandhi family also played a role
in the behaviour of the Congress leaders.
"The fear of the Gandhi family and their likes and
dislikes loom so large that no sooner it would become a threat
to democracy. This is narrow-minded bigotry of the Congress
party," Rudy alleged.
Bachchan, who is close to the Samajwadi Party, has not
been on the best of terms with the first family of Congress
after Rajiv Gandhi`s death.
BJP also noted the reference made to Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi in regard to the affair.
"Bachchan`s mere association as brand ambassador of
Gujarat is being vilified by the Congress. A national icon is
being derided for petty political gains," Rudy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?