Bachchan a victim of internal feud in Cong: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of the controversy
over the presence of Amitabh Bachchan at the inauguration of
Bandra-Worli sea-link, BJP today batted for the filmstar
saying he has become a victim of the "feud" in Congress and
"fear" of the Gandhi family in the party.
"The Bandra-Worli sea-link is a national property and
certainly not a property of the Congress party. Every Indian
has a right to be there. Undoubtedly, Amitabh Bachchan is the
nation`s pride and a distinguished Mumbaikar who has full
credentials to be the chief guest there," BJP spokesperson
Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
The Rajya Sabha MP criticised the Congress for
"generating a controversy" over invitation to Bachchan.
Resentment brewed in a section of Mumbai Congress over
the invite to Bachchan to the function where Chief Minister
Ashok Chavan inaugurated the sea link yesterday.
"It is beyond Indian tradition to invite and then insult.
Bachchan cannot be a victim of internal feud in Congress
party, in particular in Maharashtra and in general at the
national level," Rudy said.
The BJP claimed that though the invitation to Bachchan
had been sent by the NCP minister in charge of the department
concerned, the "fear" of the Gandhi family also played a role
in the behaviour of the Congress leaders.
"The fear of the Gandhi family and their likes and
dislikes loom so large that no sooner it would become a threat
to democracy. This is narrow-minded bigotry of the Congress
party," Rudy alleged.
Bachchan, who is close to the Samajwadi Party, has not
been on the best of terms with the first family of Congress
after Rajiv Gandhi`s death.
BJP also noted the reference made to Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi in regard to the affair.
"Bachchan`s mere association as brand ambassador of
Gujarat is being vilified by the Congress. A national icon is
being derided for petty political gains," Rudy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi