Bal Thackeray death: No Shiv Sena bandh in Mumbai
Mumbai: A day after lakhs of Mumbaikars bid tearful adieu to Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, the maximum is slowly returning to normalcy on Monday.
Fears of a continued shutdown in Maharashtra, especially in Greater Mumbai, was assuaged to a large extent after Shiv Sena denied having declared a Mumbai bandh today. As if on cue most taxis, autos are back on the roads. BEST buses and local trains are also operating as per their normal schedule.
While retains outlets, especially chemists shops, opened today, several traders’ association have decided to close markets to observe ‘Shradhanjali Day` as a mark of respect for the Maratha strongman. Federation of Associations of Maharashtra (FAM), that has Agriculture Produce Market Committees (APMCs) and markets dealing in grains, sugar, dry fruits, metal, iron and steel and chemicals affiliated to it, would be observing a bandh throughout Maharashtra.
The bullion market, Zaveri Bazar, is also completely shut in honour of late Bal Thackeray.
Schools that were to reopen today after the Diwali break decided to postpone their resumption by a day and will open on Tuesday.
Film industry sources informed that cinemas and shooting would resume today after two-day shutdown, reports said.
The mortal remains Bal Thackeray were consigned to flames on Sunday evening as hundreds of thousands of mourners bid him a tearful farewell at the Shivaji Park, from where he had launched the Shiv Sena 46 years back.
An emotional Uddhav Thackeray, the youngest son of the 86-year-old Shiv Sena patriarch, lit the funeral pyre a little after 6 pm, to loud roars of "Balasaheb amar rahe" (long live Balasaheb).
Raj Thackeray, the estranged nephew of Bal Thackeray and MNS chief, stood next to Uddhav with folded hands near the pyre as they accepted the condolences from political leaders, captains of industry, film personalities, relatives, friends and well wishers.
The firebrand Sena supremo, who was critically ill for the past few days, breathed his last on Saturday following a cardiac arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in