Bal Thackeray, Sachin Tendulkar among water bill defaulters in Mumbai
Mumbai: Late Shiv Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray, cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and SP leader Abu Azmi are among the two lakh water bill defaulters in Mumbai.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), which recently made public the list of defaulters on its website, has named several biggies including former Maharashtra chief minister AR Antulay for non-payment of dues.
The civic body has recovered massive dues of over Rs 1,000 crore from over two lakh defaulters in the metropolis as on January 16, 2014.
"The list has been prepared based on information received from 24 ward offices and comprises names of all defaulters from commercial, industrial and domestic connections categories," a civic official said.
The BMC would soon consider action against these defaulters based on the amount they have to pay, the official said.
When contacted, a source close to the Thackeray family told a news agency that they would check into bills pending.
While Azmi said, "There is no bill pending from my side. Due to the mismanagement of the civic body they might have not sent the bill. I have checked with the manager of my hotel and no bill is pending. If at all the bill is pending I will pay it within a day. I will send notice to the BMC for including me in the defaulters list."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read