Bal Thackeray serious but responding well
Mumbai: Ending hours of suspense about Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray’s condition, his son Uddhav on Thursday night spoke to media reiterating that his father is stable and fighting hard to get better.
“Balasaheb is better and fighting hard to get better,” Uddhav told hundreds of media persons waiting outside the ailing 86-year-old leader’s residence ‘Matoshri’ in Bandra East
The Shiv Sena executive president, who was accompanied by his son Aditya when he came out to interact with the media, asked party supporters to keep praying for the well-being of his father and remain "hopeful".
Addressing a sea of supporters, he said, “We will not leave any stone unturned in bringing our leader back. Pray for him. He is fighting hard at the moment and needs your prayers.”
He assured that his father, an iconic leader of Maharashtra, was gradually improving and responding to treatment.
The expression of hope from Uddhav came as a big respite for Shiv Sena leaders and the restive crowd, which had gathered outside his residence.
"We appeal to all to remain calm and pray for him. We are grateful for the prayers and support of millions of Thackeray`s admirers and supporters all over India," he said as Thackeray, 86, continued to battle breathing problems inside his home.
In the evening, Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai told journalists that a team of doctors was constantly attending on Thackeray and his condition was "improving".
Earlier in the day, other leaders, including Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray assured the people that his condition was "stabilizing".
"I am appealing to workers to disperse. He is absolutely stable," Raut said.
A steady stream of VVIPs, industrialists and glamour world personalities visited the Thackeray residence. Amongst them were Governor K Sankaranarayana, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Home Minister R.R. Patil, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari and Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar.
Glamour world personalities like Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek, Rishi Kapoor with brother Randhir, Salim Khan and son Salman Khan, Manoj Kumar, Madhur Bhandarkar and Bappi Lahiri also visited Matoshri to enquire after Thackeray`s delicate health.
Following the positive announcements made by several leaders, Mumbaikars relaxed though crowds of supporters continue to throng Bandra East and the entire area has remained under a security blanket.
Uddhav made repeated appeals to the people to "maintain peace and remain calm". He had earlier come out to address the swelling crowds, after news spread that Balasaheb`s condition was critical, and said, "I have not lost hope. We are facing a crisis, we shall overcome."
Thackeray has been under the care of a team of specialists from Lilavati Hospital, Bandra West, at his home. According to party leaders, a virtual ICU had been created at Matoshri with all emergency equipment and medical and para-medical staff on duty round-the-clock.
The Chief Minister is understood to have discussed the security arrangements in Mumbai and the rest of the state with top police and civil officials here Thursday afternoon.
Mumbai Police and other security agencies have made heavy security arrangements outside Matoshri and in large parts of Bandra East, barely a stone`s throw away from the CBD, Bandra-Kurla Complex, which also houses the US Consulate and the British Deputy High Commission.
Over 350 police personnel, Rapid Action Force and other contingents led by senior officers have deployed stringent security in the vicinity to prevent any untoward incidents.
There were reports that all shootings in Goregaon Film City had stopped and some theatres had stopped movie screenings.
Large parts of Mumbai and suburbs remained closed for businesses as news of Thackeray`s delicate health spread this morning.
Shiv Sena bastions like Bandra, Dadar and other parts remained virtually deserted as people preferred to remain indoors and catch the latest on Thackeray`s health through the media.
With IANS Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'