Balasaheb Thackeray had a special love and affection for Thane
Thane: Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray who passed away in Mumbai on Saturday, had a special love and affection for Thane city, which gave his party a political fillip in the mid-1960s, when it had just been established.
He was extremely overwhelmed by the tremendous support given by Thane-ites by returning the Sena to power in 1967. It was only after capturing power in the Thane civic council, that the Sena sucessfully made inroads into other civic bodies like Mumbai and Nashik.
At a victory rally after the Sena`s victory in 1967 elections, the late Sena supremo had declared that he was ensuring the construction of Dadaji Kondeo stadium and the Ram Ganesh Gadkari auditorium.
He minutely monitored happenings in Thane and any comment by citizens in the form of letters to the editor or news reports. He took to task office bearers in the civic body and ensured that the civic work were completed.
He loved to come to Thane and during his visit for the last civic elections, he prostrated before the audience and begged them to return the Sena-BJP combine to power.
After formation of the Thane Municipal Corporation, he handpicked its first directly elected president, Satish Chandra Pradhan, as its first mayor and told Thane-ites that he would go to any extent to satisfy their needs.
It became clear that the late supremo had meant what he said when Thane civic commissioner T Chandrashekar was given a free hand to work for the city`s development, without entertaining complaints by his own partymen against the official.
The late supremo had ensured that the clock at Tembi Naka clock tower was repaired when Thane`s citizens had the privilege to communicate directly with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune