Balasaheb Thackeray had a special love and affection for Thane
Thane: Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray who passed away in Mumbai on Saturday, had a special love and affection for Thane city, which gave his party a political fillip in the mid-1960s, when it had just been established.
He was extremely overwhelmed by the tremendous support given by Thane-ites by returning the Sena to power in 1967. It was only after capturing power in the Thane civic council, that the Sena sucessfully made inroads into other civic bodies like Mumbai and Nashik.
At a victory rally after the Sena`s victory in 1967 elections, the late Sena supremo had declared that he was ensuring the construction of Dadaji Kondeo stadium and the Ram Ganesh Gadkari auditorium.
He minutely monitored happenings in Thane and any comment by citizens in the form of letters to the editor or news reports. He took to task office bearers in the civic body and ensured that the civic work were completed.
He loved to come to Thane and during his visit for the last civic elections, he prostrated before the audience and begged them to return the Sena-BJP combine to power.
After formation of the Thane Municipal Corporation, he handpicked its first directly elected president, Satish Chandra Pradhan, as its first mayor and told Thane-ites that he would go to any extent to satisfy their needs.
It became clear that the late supremo had meant what he said when Thane civic commissioner T Chandrashekar was given a free hand to work for the city`s development, without entertaining complaints by his own partymen against the official.
The late supremo had ensured that the clock at Tembi Naka clock tower was repaired when Thane`s citizens had the privilege to communicate directly with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug