Bandh in Bhujbal`s constituency over Lok Sabha ticket
Nashik: Yeola town in Nashik district observed a bandh today to express disappointment over NCP`s decision to field its Minister and local MLA Chhagan Bhujbal in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, and demand that he contest from his present Assembly seat.
The Maharashtra PWD Minister, who represents Yeola in the Assembly, has been given ticket by NCP to contest Lok Sabha election from Nashik, from where his nephew Sameer is the sitting MP.
This decision did not go down well with local NCP leaders and activists, who want Bhujbal to contest from Yeola once again and continue what they call his "good work" in the Assembly constituency.
Responding to the bandh called by the local unit of the Sharad Pawar-led party and Bhujbal`s supporters, shops and commercial establishments remained closed in Yeola, police said.
NCP activists staged a "rasta roko" on the Manmad- Ahmednagar Road near Vinchur, they said, adding the shutdown was largely peaceful.
According to Nilesh Patel, President of Yeola Municipal Council, and NCP activist Ambadas Bankar, during his multiple tenure as MLA, Bhujbal has developed the drought- prone town and its adjoining areas.
However, much remains to be done and hence Bhujbal should represent Yeola Assembly seat once again instead of contesting from Nashik Parliamentary constituency, they said.
The Assembly election is due in second half of 2014.
According to political observers, Bhujbal himself is not interested in contesting Lok Sabha polls and wants to remain in state politics.
The Yeola bandh was a message from his supporters to the NCP leadership to rethink their decision on fielding Bhujbal, they maintained.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know