Bandra fire: Maha govt announces interim relief for victims
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Saturday
announced an interim relief of Rs 1000 each for those who have
been rendered homeless in last night`s blaze in a Bandra slum
colony along the railway line.
Mumbai Suburban Guardian minister Mohamed Arif Naseem
Khan visited the place today where the fire ravaged the houses
of over 2,000 families last night.
He said the district collectorate office has been
instructed to conduct a panchnama to ascertain the actual
loss of property.
Temporary relief camps have been set up to house the
residents who have lost their belongings. Food and medicines
are being provided to them.
"The administration will provide interim monetary relief
of Rs 1000 per person and maximum of Rs 5000 to single
family," he added.
At least 21 people, including four firemen, were injured
and over 2,000 people, including `Slumdog Millionaire` child
actor Rubina Ali, were rendered homeless due to the fire.
Neerja Matoo of the Jai Ho Trust said Rubina and her
family are slated to shift to a new house alloted to them by
the Trust soon. The other child actor, Azhar, who also lived
in the slum, shifted to the new house last year.
The fire broke out in Garib Nagar slums near Bandra
(East) railway station yesterday after which 34 fire engines
and 16 jumbo water tankers were rushed to the spot.
The flames were doused around 12.30 am. The exact cause
of the fire is yet to be ascertained but initial reports say
five gas cylinders exploded due to which the fire spread
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet