Beed abortion case: Court for CBI probe against cop
Beed: Terming as "unfortunate" the instant bail granted to a doctor couple in the case of a woman who died during abortion at their hospital last month, a sessions court here has suggested that a CBI inquiry be conducted into the alleged role of an investigating officer.
"It`s unfortunate thing that the doctor couple got instant bail," Ambejogai tehsil additional sessions judge-II R A Gaikwad said in his report, adding that the role of police inspector Ramrao Gadekar is under suspicion in the case and the matter should be investigated by the CBI.
Judge Gaikwad has referred his report to the High Court for necessary action against the concern person, and also requested for an impartial investigation through Central Bureau of Investigate (CBI) in the case.
Earlier, the Maharashtra government had filed a complaint against Vijaymala`s husband Mahadev Patekar, who admitted her in Munde hospital in Parli in Beed district, for termination of pregnancy during her second trimester. The petition regarding the case was filed by Public Prosecutor A V Kulkarni.
According to judge Gaikwad`s report, the main accused, Dr Sudam and his wife Sarswati Munde, "dramatically" got bail.
Police inspector (PI) as well as investigating officer Ramrao Gadekar played a "dubious role" in making an application to the court to temporarily remove charges against them under Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act and PCPDNT act, the judge mentioned.
Junior Magistrate First Class (JMFC) passed three orders on the same day - granting permission to delete above mention offences, sending both principal accused to judicial custody and eventually releasing them on bail, the judge said in his report.
The doctor couple conducted the abortion of sugarcane worker Vijaymala Patekar, who died during the procedure in the Munde hospital on May 18.
The accused couple got bail on May 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list