Beed abortion case: Doctor couple surrenders
Beed: A doctor couple absconding for over three weeks in connection with the death of a 30-year-old woman while undergoing abortion at their hospital on Sunday night surrendered to the local police.
"Dr Sudam Munde and his wife Dr Saraswati booked under section 304 of IPC for culpable homicide surrendered before the Parli city police at around 9 PM," police inspector Ramrao Gadekar of Parli City police station said.
Earlier in the day, police searched the house of the doctor couple at Parli, sources said.
The couple is accused of carrying out abortion on sugarcane worker Vijaymala Patekar, who was in her second trimester, at their hospital in Parli on May 18, which resulted in her death.
On May 19, the couple had secured bail from Parli court, and went into hiding from May 23, they said.
The bail was subsequently cancelled by the sessions court in Ambejogai on May 26 on petition of the Beed district health department in a 2010 case under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act.
Varsha Deshpande of NGO Lekladki Abhiyan had through a sting operation exposed that sex-determination tests were being conducted at Munde`s hospital in 2010, following which the doctors had been booked under the PCPNDT Act.
The Parli court on June 3 declared the couple "absconding".
The duo then moved the Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court for relief which upheld the local court order on June 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users