Beed abortion case: Top Govt hospital officer in spot
Beed: The Beed District Collector has written a letter to Maharashtra Government recommending inquiry against medical superintendent of the sub-district hospital in Kaij town in connection with an illegal abortion case.
Collector Sunil Kendrekar, in his letter to Additional Chief Secretary (Public Health), has said the role of the hospital superintendent, Ashok Thorat, in the episode should be probed and suitable action taken against him.
The sub-district hospital`s medical officer Chandrakant Lamture was arrested in September for allegedly conducting an abortion at his private hospital.
Lamture`s hospital was not authorised to conduct medical termination of pregnancy (MTP), police had said then.
The incident came to light after a sting operation conducted by district health officials with the help of local police. Thorat had played a key role in the sting operation.
Shiv Sena worker Ratnmala Munde later lodged a complaint alleging that it was Thorat who had asked the woman in question to go to Lamture`s hospital for abortion.
According to Munde, Thorat had conducted sonography of the woman and knew that she was carrying a female foetus.
During the sting operation, Thorat waited till abortion was over and only after that he told health officials and the police to raid Lamture`s hospital, she said.
Acting on the complaint, Kendrekar had asked District Civil Surgeon to conduct a probe and submit a report to him.
After receiving the report, Kendrekar wrote the letter seeking probe against Thorat and dismissal of Lamture from Government service.
In the letter, the Collector said Thorat`s behaviour in the entire episode was "irresponsible". He should have prevented the woman from going to Lamture for abortion as his hospital was not authorised to conduct MTP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya