Beed abortion case: Top Govt hospital officer in spot
Beed: The Beed District Collector has written a letter to Maharashtra Government recommending inquiry against medical superintendent of the sub-district hospital in Kaij town in connection with an illegal abortion case.
Collector Sunil Kendrekar, in his letter to Additional Chief Secretary (Public Health), has said the role of the hospital superintendent, Ashok Thorat, in the episode should be probed and suitable action taken against him.
The sub-district hospital`s medical officer Chandrakant Lamture was arrested in September for allegedly conducting an abortion at his private hospital.
Lamture`s hospital was not authorised to conduct medical termination of pregnancy (MTP), police had said then.
The incident came to light after a sting operation conducted by district health officials with the help of local police. Thorat had played a key role in the sting operation.
Shiv Sena worker Ratnmala Munde later lodged a complaint alleging that it was Thorat who had asked the woman in question to go to Lamture`s hospital for abortion.
According to Munde, Thorat had conducted sonography of the woman and knew that she was carrying a female foetus.
During the sting operation, Thorat waited till abortion was over and only after that he told health officials and the police to raid Lamture`s hospital, she said.
Acting on the complaint, Kendrekar had asked District Civil Surgeon to conduct a probe and submit a report to him.
After receiving the report, Kendrekar wrote the letter seeking probe against Thorat and dismissal of Lamture from Government service.
In the letter, the Collector said Thorat`s behaviour in the entire episode was "irresponsible". He should have prevented the woman from going to Lamture for abortion as his hospital was not authorised to conduct MTP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened