Beed abortion case: Top Govt hospital officer in spot
Beed: The Beed District Collector has written a letter to Maharashtra Government recommending inquiry against medical superintendent of the sub-district hospital in Kaij town in connection with an illegal abortion case.
Collector Sunil Kendrekar, in his letter to Additional Chief Secretary (Public Health), has said the role of the hospital superintendent, Ashok Thorat, in the episode should be probed and suitable action taken against him.
The sub-district hospital`s medical officer Chandrakant Lamture was arrested in September for allegedly conducting an abortion at his private hospital.
Lamture`s hospital was not authorised to conduct medical termination of pregnancy (MTP), police had said then.
The incident came to light after a sting operation conducted by district health officials with the help of local police. Thorat had played a key role in the sting operation.
Shiv Sena worker Ratnmala Munde later lodged a complaint alleging that it was Thorat who had asked the woman in question to go to Lamture`s hospital for abortion.
According to Munde, Thorat had conducted sonography of the woman and knew that she was carrying a female foetus.
During the sting operation, Thorat waited till abortion was over and only after that he told health officials and the police to raid Lamture`s hospital, she said.
Acting on the complaint, Kendrekar had asked District Civil Surgeon to conduct a probe and submit a report to him.
After receiving the report, Kendrekar wrote the letter seeking probe against Thorat and dismissal of Lamture from Government service.
In the letter, the Collector said Thorat`s behaviour in the entire episode was "irresponsible". He should have prevented the woman from going to Lamture for abortion as his hospital was not authorised to conduct MTP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?