Beed doctor couple gets police custody till Jun 30
Beed (Maha): A day after the absconding doctor couple surrendered before police, a local court on Monday remanded them to police custody till June 30.
The couple, Dr Sudam Munde and his wife Dr Saraswati, who ran a hospital in Parli town, were booked in connection with the death of a 30-year-old woman during an abortion at their hospital on May 18.
The victim, sugarcane worker Vijaymala Patekar who was in her second trimester had allegedly died following abortion at their hospital.
On May 19, the couple had secured bail from Parli court and went into hiding from May 23. On June 3, the Parli court had declared the couple as "absconding".
However, the couple surrendered before the police last night.
"The doctor couple was produced before Parli court today when judge D P Khandelwal sent them to police custody till June 30", public prosecutor Atul Tandle said.
Police demanded the custody of Dr Mundes for further investigation, he added.
The couple had also been booked in 2010 for allegedly running an illegal sex determination and abortion racket.
Meanwhile, members of a local organisation raised slogans against the doctor couple, when they were brought to the court.
Also today, senior Maharashtra Minister Chhagan Bhujbal has demanded that homicide cases be filed against those involved in female foeticide.
"Homicide cases should be filed against those indulging in female foeticide in the progressive state of Maharashtra, which has given social reformers like Phule, Shahu Maharaj and Ambedkar," the NCP leader said.
Bhujbal, who holds the PWD portfolio, made the demand in a letter he wrote to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his spokesperson said here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE