Beed female foeticides: Maha talks tough
Beed: Maharashtra Health Minister Suresh Shetty on Saturday said stern action will be taken against government officials if their involvement is found in illegal sex determination tests and resultant instances of female foeticides that came to light in the district.
"Those officials who have been complacent or are found to have abdicated their responsibility in checking the female foeticide will be dealt strictly," Shetty told a review meeting at the district civil hospital.
The meeting was held against the backdrop of a string of incidents of female foeticides in the district which has the lowest male-female sex ratio among children under the age of 6 in the state.
Three doctors from Beed district, two from neighbouring Nanded district and five medical practitioners from Osmanabad district have so far found guilty of carrying out illegal sex determination tests and aborting female foetuses.
"The instances of female foeticides have brought a bad name to progressive state like Maharashtra not in the country but among the global community as well," Shetty said.
Clarifying that the state government will not harass law-abiding doctors, the health minister said only those sonography centres that have failed to maintain mandatory records will be sealed.
He informed that the state government will nominate two public prosecutors for trying the female foeticide cases and foot the legal expenses.
Minister of state Fauzia Khan, who also attended the meeting, termed as "disgusting" the incidents of female foeticides.
District guardian minister Jaidatta Kshirsagar, civil surgeon Dr Gauri Rathod, Resident Medical Officer (RMO) Ramchandra Giri and other officials attended the meeting.
The illegal abortions came to light after three foetuses were found dumped on June 2 at various places in the district.
The district authorities on May 25 sealed a private hospital run by a doctor couple for allegedly carrying out illegal abortion of a 30-year-old woman that resulted in her death on May 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check