Best Bakery case: Four get life term, 5 acquitted
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday awarded life sentences to four people and acquitted another five accused in the 2002 Best Bakery case.
A division bench of Justices VM Kanade and PD Kode passed the order in response to an appeal filed by the nine accused, who have earlier challenged the life sentence awarded to them by the lower court.
The bench had in March commenced day-to-day hearing in the appeals filed by the nine convicted, challenging the lower court`s order sentencing them to life imprisonment six years back.
The bench had earlier reserved its judgement in the case after hearing both the defence and prosecution.
Fourteen people, who had taken refuge in the Best Bakery on Hanuman Tekdi in Gujarat`s Vadodara city on March 1, 2002, during the post-Godhra riots, were killed by a mob of 20 people.
Of the 17 accused, nine were convicted and sentenced to life by a special court in Mumbai in 2006. The nine had then approached the High Court challenging the order.
In a twist to the case, prime witness Yasmeen Shaikh had earlier this year filed an application before the High Court claiming that she was forced to give evidence against the accused by social activist Teesta Setalvad.
Yasmeen had alleged that Teesta had promised her money if she gives a false deposition before the trial court implicating the arrested accused in the case.
She had sought the high court to re-record her evidence. The court had, however, said it would first hear and decide on the appeals filed by the convicts.
Teesta too later filed an intervening application seeking the court to hear her side also while deciding the appeals.
The court said it would hear both Yasmeen and Teesta`s applications at the end of the hearing.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket