BEST employees call off strike after talks with govt
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: BEST Workers` Union on Wednesday called the two-day strike after talks with the state government. The employees of the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport were protesting the new computerised scheduling system .
The Bombay High Court had asked the BEST employees to call off the strike which caused inconvenience to thousands of commuters in Mumbai and its suburbs.
Senior BEST officials had warned of strict action against the drivers and the conductors if they failed to resume work.
Around 40 per cent of the staffers had accepted the new scheduling system and even filled up forms, sources said.
The BEST runs a fleet of 4,200 buses and ferries 40 lakh passengers in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and Mira Road daily. It has around 22,000 drivers/conductors who ply buses on more than 500 routes daily.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch