BEST`s 1600 drivers, conductors go on strike
Mumbai: Over 1600 drivers and conductors
working on a daily-wage basis with city`s `BEST` buses went on
a flash strike Monday demanding hike in wages, partially
affecting the services in the western suburbs.
"Altogether 1600 drivers and conductors working on daily
wage board did not report to work today. They are on strike
demanding the same pay scale that is received by those
employed full time with BEST," Brihanmumbai Electric Supply
and Transport (BEST) general manager OP Gupta said.
BEST operates over 4,800 buses carrying 45 lakh
"We have accepted their demand but we need to follow a
process including caste verification, medical check-up among
others which consumes time," Gupta said.
The strike has affected operations in western suburbs by
five to seven per cent. The management is trying to convince
them to report to work by afternoon or else we will have to
ask our regular drivers and conductors to work overtime, Gupta
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore