BEST`s 1600 drivers, conductors go on strike
Mumbai: Over 1600 drivers and conductors
working on a daily-wage basis with city`s `BEST` buses went on
a flash strike Monday demanding hike in wages, partially
affecting the services in the western suburbs.
"Altogether 1600 drivers and conductors working on daily
wage board did not report to work today. They are on strike
demanding the same pay scale that is received by those
employed full time with BEST," Brihanmumbai Electric Supply
and Transport (BEST) general manager OP Gupta said.
BEST operates over 4,800 buses carrying 45 lakh
"We have accepted their demand but we need to follow a
process including caste verification, medical check-up among
others which consumes time," Gupta said.
The strike has affected operations in western suburbs by
five to seven per cent. The management is trying to convince
them to report to work by afternoon or else we will have to
ask our regular drivers and conductors to work overtime, Gupta
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!