Bhandara rape case: A week on, no arrests yet
Mumbai: It has been over a week since three minor sisters were allegedly kidnapped, raped and murdered at Murwadi village in Bhandara district of Maharashtra, but the police have yet to make any arrest in the case.
While the police have been questioning suspects, no substantial leads have been found in the case.
The bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16. A complaint in this regard was lodged by their family on February 17, police informed.
The girls’ mother has blamed the police for carrying out a lethargic probe and acting late in the matter.
Though the police initially registered a case of accidental death, the post-mortem conducted on Monday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said, adding the case was registered under relevant sections of the IPC against unidentified persons.
Irate villagers had on Tuesday staged a protest against the ghastly incident and blocked traffic for some time. They also blocked the Nagpur-Raipur Road for four hours yesterday.
Senior NCP leader and Union minister Praful Patel on Tuesday demanded a thorough probe into the incident and trial before a fast track court. He was speaking to media persons after meeting the bereaved family members at Murwadi.
Demanding capital punishment to the accused, Patel said the kin of the victim be given adequate compensation. Patel represents the Bhandara-Gondia parliamentary constituency in the east Maharashtra district.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!