Bhandara rape case: A week on, no arrests yet
Mumbai: It has been over a week since three minor sisters were allegedly kidnapped, raped and murdered at Murwadi village in Bhandara district of Maharashtra, but the police have yet to make any arrest in the case.
While the police have been questioning suspects, no substantial leads have been found in the case.
The bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16. A complaint in this regard was lodged by their family on February 17, police informed.
The girls’ mother has blamed the police for carrying out a lethargic probe and acting late in the matter.
Though the police initially registered a case of accidental death, the post-mortem conducted on Monday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said, adding the case was registered under relevant sections of the IPC against unidentified persons.
Irate villagers had on Tuesday staged a protest against the ghastly incident and blocked traffic for some time. They also blocked the Nagpur-Raipur Road for four hours yesterday.
Senior NCP leader and Union minister Praful Patel on Tuesday demanded a thorough probe into the incident and trial before a fast track court. He was speaking to media persons after meeting the bereaved family members at Murwadi.
Demanding capital punishment to the accused, Patel said the kin of the victim be given adequate compensation. Patel represents the Bhandara-Gondia parliamentary constituency in the east Maharashtra district.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site