Bhandara rape case: MPs seek CBI probe
New Delhi: Outraged over the alleged rape and murder of three Dalit minor girls, all below 11 years, in Maharashtra`s Bhandara district, members in Rajya Sabha on Tuesday sought Centre`s intervention to bring the perpetrators of heinous crime to book and a CBI probe into the issue.
Expressing anguish and shock over the incident which occurred barely two months after brutal Delhi gangrape, the members cutting across party lines were also unanimous that the Home Minister should respond to the issue.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Bharatkumar Raut (SS) said his head hung in shame that he lived in a nation which talked about women empowerment but where 12 days after such a ghastly incident, the accused were roaming scot-free.
"Three Dalit sisters were raped and murdered and their bodies thrown in a well," he said, seeking to know "under whose protection the police was not arresting the culprits when the entire village knew them."
Terming the incident as shameful, Rajani Patil (Cong) sought fast-tracking the case and also demanded rehabilitation of another Dalit minor, allegedly raped by her teacher.
Hussain Dalwai (Cong) sought a CBI inquiry into the issue while his party colleague Bhalchandra Mungekar said, "Centre must direct the state government to conduct a CBI inquiry into the issue. I do not have faith in Maharashtra police."
"Where is the conscience of the entire middle class which during Nirbhaya case thronged India Gate and Parliament... Are you dividing rape on caste lines," an agitated Mungekar posed.
He said it was utterly shameful that atrocities against SC/ST were not looked into seriously and as per the National Crime Records Bureau data there were 1,000 rape cases annually and the victims were girls belonging to such communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?