Bhiwandi corporator, get life term for murder
Thane: A sitting corporator and 11 other
persons were on Thursday awarded life sentence by a local court for
the murder of a youth in the power loom town of Bhiwandi here.
They were also sentenced to one-year simple jail term
for carrying firearms in violation of prohibitory orders by
Thane Additional Sessions Judge IB Shaikh.
The convicted Corporator, Salim Qureshi, who won as an
independent candidate defeating Congress nominee Hanif
Qureshi, is in jail since the civic polls in May 2007.
Most of those convicted have a criminal background.
The victim, Akil Shabbir Qureshi (20), was the brother
-in-law of Hanif.
According to the prosecution, Salim and his men, armed
with knives and other weapons, attacked Akil on May 28, 2007
when he was on his way to the counting centre. Akil died on
way to hospital.
The murder was a fallout of political rivalry between
Salim and Hanif. Salim, a three-time Corporator, was angered
by Hanif`s decision to contest against him from the civic ward
no 25 of Bhiwandi municipality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh