Bid to loot cash from ATM foiled in Thane; two arrested
Thane: An attempt to loot cash from an ATM machine of Axis Bank in Manor here was foiled in the wee hours of Tuesday by a night patrol team, which swung into action after noticing some suspicious movement inside the unguarded kiosk, police said.
According to API Meghana Burande of Manor police station, the incident took place around 3.30 AM when policemen patrolling the area immediately informed her about the robbery bid.
Soon the woman officer reached the spot with additional police force and downed the shutter of the ATM kiosk and cordoned off the area before arresting two armed men, who had allegedly broke the machine and were trying to take the currency.
Both the miscreants, aged around 25, were armed with sharp weapons, cutters and knives to attack anyone resisting the loot, Burande said.
Police is trying to find out whether the duo is involved in any other such crimes, she said.
Burande said that banks have failed to provide armed security despite several warnings.
The police are in the process of registering the offence and have summoned bank personnel for further inputs, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH