Big B gives thumbs up to Sachin, Rekha for RS nomi
Mumbai: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan on Saturday said that actress Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar "deserved" to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
"In each session of Parliament, President nominates few set of people for Rajya Sabha from the fields of art, film etc. It is an honorary position. Whoever nominated for this (Rajya Sabha) are deserving people (sic)," Big B told reporters at an event held for promotion of his soon-to-be-released film, `Department`.
"I remember even (actress) Nargisji was nominated for Rajya Sabha," he said.
However, the nomination of the maestro to the Upper House seems to have not gone down well with actor Sanjay Dutt.
"It is an honour to be in Rajya Sabha. I am a die-hard fan of Sachin...He is a pride...Jewel of India. But I am not happy that he is a Rajya Sabha member....He should have been the way he is," Dutt said.
When asked if being a parliamentarian will be too demanding for Rekha and Sachin, Bachchan said, "It is their personal decision...Leave it to them".
Meanwhile, filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, who was also present on the occasion, evaded direct reply on the issue, saying, "I have no idea about cricket and politics".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research