Big B gives thumbs up to Sachin, Rekha for RS nomi
Mumbai: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan on Saturday said that actress Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar "deserved" to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
"In each session of Parliament, President nominates few set of people for Rajya Sabha from the fields of art, film etc. It is an honorary position. Whoever nominated for this (Rajya Sabha) are deserving people (sic)," Big B told reporters at an event held for promotion of his soon-to-be-released film, `Department`.
"I remember even (actress) Nargisji was nominated for Rajya Sabha," he said.
However, the nomination of the maestro to the Upper House seems to have not gone down well with actor Sanjay Dutt.
"It is an honour to be in Rajya Sabha. I am a die-hard fan of Sachin...He is a pride...Jewel of India. But I am not happy that he is a Rajya Sabha member....He should have been the way he is," Dutt said.
When asked if being a parliamentarian will be too demanding for Rekha and Sachin, Bachchan said, "It is their personal decision...Leave it to them".
Meanwhile, filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, who was also present on the occasion, evaded direct reply on the issue, saying, "I have no idea about cricket and politics".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs
- Brazil arrests 'amateur' group accused of Olympics terror plot
- Dreaded Maoist couple, three other ultras surrender in Odisha