Big B gives thumbs up to Sachin, Rekha for RS nomi
Mumbai: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan on Saturday said that actress Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar "deserved" to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
"In each session of Parliament, President nominates few set of people for Rajya Sabha from the fields of art, film etc. It is an honorary position. Whoever nominated for this (Rajya Sabha) are deserving people (sic)," Big B told reporters at an event held for promotion of his soon-to-be-released film, `Department`.
"I remember even (actress) Nargisji was nominated for Rajya Sabha," he said.
However, the nomination of the maestro to the Upper House seems to have not gone down well with actor Sanjay Dutt.
"It is an honour to be in Rajya Sabha. I am a die-hard fan of Sachin...He is a pride...Jewel of India. But I am not happy that he is a Rajya Sabha member....He should have been the way he is," Dutt said.
When asked if being a parliamentarian will be too demanding for Rekha and Sachin, Bachchan said, "It is their personal decision...Leave it to them".
Meanwhile, filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, who was also present on the occasion, evaded direct reply on the issue, saying, "I have no idea about cricket and politics".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured