BJP confident of Modi attending Mumbai conclave
Mumbai: Even as suspense continues over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s attending the BJP national executive meeting here beginning from May 24, the party`s Mumbai unit is confident that he will attend it.
"Modi is the member of the national executive and all the members have been invited. He is our esteemed leader and we are confident that he will come," Mumbai BJP president Raj Purohit told a press conference.
He said the two-day event will be a `no-frills` affair due to severe drought situation in Maharashtra. Earlier, national executive meetings in Mumbai were held in five-star hotels.
The conclave will be held this time at the Yeshwantrao Chavan Pratisthan, which is headed by Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar in South Mumbai.
Purohit said issues like corruption, inflation, national security, drought and "inefficiency" of the UPA government will be discussed at the conclave.
Nearly 500 delegates are expected to attend the meeting, apart from the chief ministers, including Modi, of all BJP-ruled states, who will stay at the state-owned Sahaydri guest house.
The two-day event will culminate in a public rally to be organised at the Babu Genu Kamgar Maidan in Central Mumbai, and will be addressed by party president Nitin Gadkari, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley among others.
Purohit said senior leader LK Advani will not attend the rally since he has some prior engagements in Delhi.
Purohit said the media centre has been set up at Mahila Vikas Mandal premises opposite the venue of the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured