BJP MP Ahir favours MP model for coal allotment
Nagpur: Three time BJP MP from Chandrapur Hansraj Ahir today said that those who have been allotted coal blocks should be asked to follow the Madhya Pradesh model instead of cancellation.
The Madhya Pradesh government has allotted coal blocks to private companies with a condition that it will retain 51 percent stake, while the remaining 49 percent will be with the private party. Mining will be carried by out by the private party, while the state government would not only get revenue, but also royalty.
The centre which has allocated 72 blocks to 150 private parties should adopt the MP model, Ahir told reporters here Tuesday. He said that 17 billion metric tonnes of coal has been allocated to private parties and claimed to have brought to light illegalities wayback in 2006 and written as many as 15 letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who held the coal ministry between 2006-09 when these blocks were allotted.
Initially, he said that he wrote to the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG), that these blocks were worth Rs 50 lakh crores.
When specifically asked, he said that he couldn`t say if Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiraj Chavan who used to be a minister of state in the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) was involved in the allotment process.
He said that he had questioned the propriety of the Centre, when a foreign coal block in Mozambique which was meant to go to state-run Coal India Ltd (CIL) was alloted to private parties. He said that employment would have been generated for the youth, had the block been allotted to CIL.
The CBI should arrest those involved in the scam, he said, though he did not name the names of politicians and individuals involved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference