Mumbai: With Bollywood superstar Salman Khan's tweets defending Yakub Memon, the death row convict of 1993 Mumbai blasts case, drawing severe flak from different quarters, BJP here demanded cancellation of the actor's bail in the 2002 hit-and-run case.
Mumbai BJP president Ashish Shelar on Sunday met Maharashtra Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao and submitted a letter requesting cancellation of bail granted to Salman by the Bombay High Court.
"I submitted a letter to the Governor requesting cancellation of bail of convicted Salman Khan for supporting a convict," said Shelar.
"Very disappointing to see Salman Khan ask for release of Yakub Memon. His (Salman's) bail should be cancelled on the basis of the support for crime," he said in a tweet.
"Yakub Memon worked on the mission of mass murder. His sympathy can only come from fellow convict who fails to appreciate mercy shown to him," Shelar added.
Meanwhile, BJP Yuva Morcha activists are expected to stage protest outside Salman's residence in suburban Bandra later today.
Salman, who was sentenced to five years in jail by the Sessions Court earlier this year in the hit-and-run case in which one person died, was later granted bail by the Bombay High Court.
The 49-year-old actor said that an "innocent" is being hung for the crimes of his brother and the prime suspect in the 1993 bombings - Tiger Memon.