BJP showed its true colours in Aurangabad poll, says Thackeray
Mumbai: In a hard-hitting editorial,
slamming old ally BJP, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray Friday
said that party had shown its "true colours" by joining hands
with Congress in Aurangabad civic body election.
"Would a true nationalist ever have a "nikaah"
(marriage) with Congress?" Thackeray said in an editorial in
Sena mouthpiece `Samaana`.
Thackeray`s comments come after earlier this week, in
the election for the post of chairman of standing committee of
Aurangabad municipal corporation, BJP`s Raju Shinde defeated
Sena candidate, with Congress`s support.
"What did our "best friend" gain by allying with
Congress? Aurangzeb, in his grave, must be happy seeing this,"
the editorial said, reminding the readers that the Mughal
emperor`s assessment of Maharashtrians as a people who could
be easily divided, rang true.
"This (BJP joining hands with Congress) is not an
overnight change in thinking. Our best friend captured power
in Delhi on the back of Ram Mandir movement, but later
disowned the demolition of Babri Masjid," Thackeray said.
"We (Sena) are committed to Hindutva and don`t stand
dilution. Criticising Congress for Muslim appeasement and
blaming it for the Partition along with Jinnah on one hand,
and praising the same Jinnah at his grave in Pakistan...We
never did this," he said, without mentioning Advani`s
controversial speech in Pakistan.
"On the face of it, our best friend (BJP) hates
Congress. When Lalu Prasad and Mulayam Singh voted on the
government`s side at the time of cut motions, our friend was
furious. Then why did this sudden love for Congress," the
"Our friend was `diluted` in Aurangabad and Hindutva
has been weakened," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days