BJP slams Maharashtra govt proposal on Muslim quota
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi/Mumbai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday slammed the proposed move of the Maharashtra government to reserve 4.5 percent seats in educational institutions and government jobs for Muslims.
BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was the habit of Congress to offer reservations ahead of elections.
A report in a leading English daily claimed today that the Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra was likely to announce the quota after suffering a drubbing in the Lok Sabha polls.
The report claimed that the government of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has taken an in-principle decision in this regard.
Apart from quota for Muslims, a similar measure would also be announced for Marathas.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar has been pushing for the quota in a bid to revive the alliance’s fortunes ahead of the Assembly Elections later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you