BJP slams police commissioner`s order to police stations
Mumbai: BJP`s Maharashtra legislative assembly opposition leader Eknath Khadse on Monday demanded a roll back of Mumbai Police Commissioner Satypal Singh`s order asking police stations to remove photographs and idols of deities inside their premises.
He said the order violated the constitutional right of religious freedom available to citizens.
"Even the British did not impose such restrictions," Khadse said while speaking about budgetary demands of the Maharashtra state home department.
He said the order also bars police officials from performing puja and other worship rituals inside police stations.
"The order states that action would be taken if such photos and idols were not removed within 15 days," he said.
He questioned the restrictions, claiming that pujas conducted by the Chief Minister and the Deputy Chief Minister at Pandharpur are accorded the status of "state pujas".
Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party legislator Abu Azmi supported the Police Commissioner`s order and demanded similar orders be issued by the state government to all government and semi-government offices.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India