BJP snares NCP leader from Thane
Mumbai: A prominent Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader from the adjoining Thane district joined the BJP, which announced here on Tuesday, that some more leaders of the Sharad Pawar-led party would join it shortly.
Kapil Patil, who was the NCP Thane rural district unit president, was welcomed into the BJP here by its senior leader Gopinath Munde and Maharashtra unit president Devendra Fadnavis.
Patil told reporters that he left NCP since he felt that only an able leader like Narendra Modi could ensure development of his Bhiwandi Lok Sabha constituency.
Patil is likely to be the BJP candidate from Bhiwandi and a formal decision is expected tomorrow.
Answering a query about Maharshtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar`s warning to Medical Education Minister Vijaykumar Gavit, whose daughter, Heena Gavit, is likely to join the BJP, Munde said, "Joining any party and practising an ideology is a right given to people by the Constitution."
"There is no point exerting pressure on a father to prevent his daughter from joining any other party," Munde said.
"Even nephews don`t listen to uncles, as can be seen from mine and Balasaheb`s (Thackeray) case," Munde said, in an apparent reference to his nephew Dhananjay joining the NCP and the late Thackeray`s nephew Raj leaving the Shiv Sena and forming the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
"Mind you, the same thing is going to happen in Sharad Pawar`s case," Munde said, implying that all may not be well between Ajit Pawar and his uncle, in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation