BJP urges Maharashtra CM to rethink on INS Vikrant
Mumbai: The state BJP on Saturday appealed the Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to rethink his stand on INS Vikrant, which is set to be auctioned off as scrap.
"Chavan should withdraw his resolve to sell the ship in scrap. He should understand people`s sentiments associated with Vikrant," BJP leader Kirit Somaiya said here.
He said in December 2001, the then Defence Minister George Fernandes had stated that Maharashtra government had shown interest in preserving Vikrant as a maritime museum, but the state failed to go ahead with the proposal.
Somaiya said he had discussions with senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde and Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray on the issue.
"We have decided that a delegation of BJP leaders will meet President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue," he said.
First the state government "usurped" the Adarsh Housing Society meant for the kin of the Kargil war heroes and now it wants to sell off Vikrant, which played a significant role in the 1971 war against Pakistan, he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog