‘BJP’s internal rift thwarted Gadkari’s reelection`
Nagpur: Some senior BJP leaders conspired together to deny second consecutive term as party president to Nitin Gadkari and were also instrumental in supplying "material" to media against him, claimed RSS ideologue M G Vaidya.
"When BJP amended its constitution to facilitate extending second term to incumbent president Gadkari, a section of party leaders did not like it.
But they did not oppose it openly and since then started working against giving second term to Gadkari", Vaidya wrote in his blog.
"Gadkari would have scored 70 per cent votes had he contested polls for the second term", Vaidya said.
After allegations against Gadkari regarding layered investments into shell companies linked to Purti Group found way in the media, senior party leaders Ram Jethmalani and his son Mahesh went public opposing his second term citing propriety.
"Later, former union ministers Yashwant Sinha and actor-turned-politician Shatraughan Sinha also asked Gadkari to demit the office and face probe into allegations", Vaidya said in the blog.
Income Tax sleuths had raided 11 locations across Mumbai, just a day before BJP`s presidential poll, to verify the existence of the alleged shell companies that are linked to Purti Group.
Rajnath Singh succeeded Gadkari after the latter tendered his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today