Blackmailing by jilted lover can be abetment of suicide: HC
Mumbai: A threat by a jilted lover to
"destroy" a girl`s life which leads to her suicide is a clear
case of abetment of suicide, the Bombay High Court has held.
Devesh Datta Pathrikar had filed a petition seeking
discharge from the case of abetment of suicide against
himself and his parents.
According to police, Sangeeta (name changed) committed
suicide on December 30, 2005, allegedly because Devesh was
The duo knew each other for a while and were in a love
relationship for some time. However, when Sangeeta refused to
marry him, Devesh allegedly threatened to "destroy her life".
He also said that he would publish his and Sangeeta`s
photographs to ruin her marriage prospects.
Later Sangeeta committed suicide, blaming Devesh in the
suicide note. Devesh and his parents were booked for abetment
of suicide in 2006.
Devesh then filed a petition in the High Court,
challenging framing of charges against him and his parents.
His lawyer argued that he had no intention to make the girl
end her life.
However, rejecting his plea, Justice A V Nirgude of
Aurangabad bench of the High Court held that Devesh certainly
intended to "show these photographs to the boys who would
consider the girl`s proposal for marriage. The existence of
these photographs had a terrible effect on her mind".
Mentioning that the girl was from a conservative
background, the judge noted that "she felt trapped and chose
to end her life".
This attempt to blackmail her through the photographs
would amount to "abetment of suicide" as defined in the IPC,
the Court held.
"Prima facie, it is seen that the petitioner`s (Devesh`s)
intention was to finish her as a person," the court said.
However, while allowing Devesh`s trial to proceed, the
court held that his parents had committed no offence, and
should be discharged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof