Blast convict wants to sell off kidney to fund defence
Mumbai: Hanif Sayed, who alongwith his wife Fahmida was sentenced to death for their role in 2003 Gateway of India blast, wants to sell off his kidney to raise money for legal defence, his lawyer said.
"He wrote to me last week saying that he wants to
auction one of his kidneys to pay the lawyers," advocate
Sushant Kunjuraman told PTI today.
"I am going to file a petition in the High Court,
seeking direction to the government that Sayed be allowed to
sell his kidney," Kunjuraman said.
Sayed was a taxi driver by profession before his
Sayed, his wife, and one Arshad Ansari were convicted
by the court last year for carrying out twin blasts -- at
Gateway and Zaveri Bazar -- which killed 54 people.
Their appeals are pending before the High Court.
"Since he is in jail, if he wants to sell his kidney,
government`s permission is required," Kunjuraman said.
Under the Indian law, no human organ can be removed
from a living donor unless it is intended for a close
relative. Organ transplants require the consent of
government-appointed committees, and no organ can be sold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25