BMC demarcates area for Bal Thackeray`s ‘garden memorial’
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has demarcated the area to build a landscaped garden in the memory of late Shiv Sena patriarch Balasaheb Thackeray at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The proposal to build a 20 x 40 feet landscaped garden has been submitted by the Shiv Sena to the BMC.
The garden which awaits final nod from the Maharashtra government and Bombay High Court will come up alongside the statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Meanwhile, BMC officials were unavailable for comment on when the civic body will seek permission from the state government to build the garden.
Police security cover continues at the demarcated site to avoid any untoward incident. A Rapid Intervention Vehicle (RIV) and around 25 personnel of Riot Control Police (RCP) are deployed at the spot.
Two days ago, party workers had removed the temporary structure at the funeral spot of Thackeray in Shivaji Park which had become a makeshift memorial for his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'