BMC demarcates area for Bal Thackeray`s ‘garden memorial’
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has demarcated the area to build a landscaped garden in the memory of late Shiv Sena patriarch Balasaheb Thackeray at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The proposal to build a 20 x 40 feet landscaped garden has been submitted by the Shiv Sena to the BMC.
The garden which awaits final nod from the Maharashtra government and Bombay High Court will come up alongside the statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Meanwhile, BMC officials were unavailable for comment on when the civic body will seek permission from the state government to build the garden.
Police security cover continues at the demarcated site to avoid any untoward incident. A Rapid Intervention Vehicle (RIV) and around 25 personnel of Riot Control Police (RCP) are deployed at the spot.
Two days ago, party workers had removed the temporary structure at the funeral spot of Thackeray in Shivaji Park which had become a makeshift memorial for his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter