BMC demarcates area for Bal Thackeray`s ‘garden memorial’
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has demarcated the area to build a landscaped garden in the memory of late Shiv Sena patriarch Balasaheb Thackeray at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The proposal to build a 20 x 40 feet landscaped garden has been submitted by the Shiv Sena to the BMC.
The garden which awaits final nod from the Maharashtra government and Bombay High Court will come up alongside the statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Meanwhile, BMC officials were unavailable for comment on when the civic body will seek permission from the state government to build the garden.
Police security cover continues at the demarcated site to avoid any untoward incident. A Rapid Intervention Vehicle (RIV) and around 25 personnel of Riot Control Police (RCP) are deployed at the spot.
Two days ago, party workers had removed the temporary structure at the funeral spot of Thackeray in Shivaji Park which had become a makeshift memorial for his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny
- Bailey stars as Australia deny Sri Lanka winning farewell to Dilshan; lead ODI series 2-1
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic