BMC poll: Dutt critical of tickets distribution
Mumbai: Criticizing the way the party
candidates were finalized for the BMC polls, Congress MP Priya
Dutt on Thursday said that she was kept in dark about the selection
process in her constituency.
"I consider it an insult as an MP because the list of
candidates in my constituency was not revealed to me till the
last minute and kept confidential," she told reporters.
Priya said she was an MP and the Mumbai Regional Congress
Chief (Kripashankar Singh) was an MLA from Kalina which falls
in her constituency indicating that she ought to have been
consulted before finalizing candidates.
Priya, daughter of late actor Sunil Dutt, however,
refuted speculations that she was contemplating to resign as
"There is no question of resignation. But, I will continue
to fight for the rights of the ordinary party worker," she
Over 5000 Party workers from her North Central Mumbai
constituency converged at her residence in Bandra yesterday
and shouted slogans against Mumbai unit chief Kripashankar
Singh and Textile Minister Arif Mohammed Naseem Khan, an MLA
from Kurla which falls in her Lok Sabha constituency.
Vile Parle MLA Krishna Hegde and Bandra MLA Baba
Siddique were among those present along with Priya when she
met party workers.
Party sources said she was miffed that she was not
consulted or informed about the replacements in three wards
where Congress had won in the last election.
Priya has communicated her stand to the party high
command, sources said.
Meanwhile, Ajit Sawant, the MRCC general secretary who
was suspended along with three-time corporator Vidyarthi Singh
for alleging irregularities in ticket distribution, came out
in support of Priya.
He said Sada Sarvankar, who joined Congress in 2009 after
leaving Shiv Sena has been favoured and his son given ticket
while in the ward no 208, the candidate was an NCP worker who
joined Congress just four days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery