BMC polls: Congress releases second list
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC), which is grappling with rebellion in its
ranks over ticket distribution, today released its second list
of 20 candidates, comprising twelve women out of whom two are
kin of sitting corporators, for the Brihanmumbai Municipal
Corporation (BMC) elections slated for February 16.
Last night, the party released its first list
comprising 119 aspirants.
Congress, which is making a vehement bid to wrest the
control of the country`s richest civic body from the saffron
combine of Shiv Sena and BJP, is contesting on 169 out of the
total 227 seats, while ceding 58 seats for its alliance
In the second list of 20 candidates, two are wives of
the sitting corporators.
Congress, which is in opposition in the civic body, is
facing largescale revolt from those aspirants who have been
denied tickets amid allegations that the seats are being
traded for money.
Meanwhile, wife of sitting corporator Shanti Yadav
today filed her nomination from ward number 28 and the
daughter of his counterpart Kamlesh Yadav staked her claim
from ward number 28, both on the ticket of Samajwadi Party.
Meanwhile, Congress MP from Mumbai North Sanjay
Nirupam dashed a letter to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan,
state unit president Manikrao Thakre and city chief
Kripashankar Singh to probe allegations levelled by the
sitting corporator Vidyarthi Singh who claimed that money was
exchanged to declare a candidate for ward number 12.
Nirupam in his missive questionned the decision of
declaring the candidate for the said ward even as objections
were raised by Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says