BMC should go for water harvesting than cloud seed
Mumbai: The Mumbai civic body should have explored options like rain water harvesting and making wells operational instead of going ahead with cloud seeding, the Opposition Congress in BMC has said.
Opposing the cloud seeding experiment to receive artificial rains, Leader of Opposition in BMC, Dnyanaraj Nikam, said since it was a failure on the last two occasions, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) should not have gone ahead with it.
"The civic body as well as the state government attempted to experiment with cloud seeding in the past, but unfortunately they could not succeed," Nikam said.
He said the state government had rejected cloud seeding on the grounds that a rainfall could not be brought about with this experiment.
"The civic body should explore the option of rain water harvesting. They should also make the wells operational in the city by repairing and cleaning them," Nikam said.
By the time the BMC takes a final nod from the state government, half of September would pass by and the monsoon will also come to an end, the Congress corporator lamented.
Last week, the BMC announced that cloud seeding would be carried out from September 1 to 28.
It will be done in all the catchment areas which supply water to Mumbai, but mainly at Vaitarna and Bhatsa dams, where rainfall has been low.
The civic body has also expressed confidence that the method would work and help resolve water woes.
Cloud seeding, a form of intentional weather modification, involves dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation leading to precipitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP