BMC should go for water harvesting than cloud seed
Mumbai: The Mumbai civic body should have explored options like rain water harvesting and making wells operational instead of going ahead with cloud seeding, the Opposition Congress in BMC has said.
Opposing the cloud seeding experiment to receive artificial rains, Leader of Opposition in BMC, Dnyanaraj Nikam, said since it was a failure on the last two occasions, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) should not have gone ahead with it.
"The civic body as well as the state government attempted to experiment with cloud seeding in the past, but unfortunately they could not succeed," Nikam said.
He said the state government had rejected cloud seeding on the grounds that a rainfall could not be brought about with this experiment.
"The civic body should explore the option of rain water harvesting. They should also make the wells operational in the city by repairing and cleaning them," Nikam said.
By the time the BMC takes a final nod from the state government, half of September would pass by and the monsoon will also come to an end, the Congress corporator lamented.
Last week, the BMC announced that cloud seeding would be carried out from September 1 to 28.
It will be done in all the catchment areas which supply water to Mumbai, but mainly at Vaitarna and Bhatsa dams, where rainfall has been low.
The civic body has also expressed confidence that the method would work and help resolve water woes.
Cloud seeding, a form of intentional weather modification, involves dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation leading to precipitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog