BMC should go for water harvesting than cloud seed
Mumbai: The Mumbai civic body should have explored options like rain water harvesting and making wells operational instead of going ahead with cloud seeding, the Opposition Congress in BMC has said.
Opposing the cloud seeding experiment to receive artificial rains, Leader of Opposition in BMC, Dnyanaraj Nikam, said since it was a failure on the last two occasions, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) should not have gone ahead with it.
"The civic body as well as the state government attempted to experiment with cloud seeding in the past, but unfortunately they could not succeed," Nikam said.
He said the state government had rejected cloud seeding on the grounds that a rainfall could not be brought about with this experiment.
"The civic body should explore the option of rain water harvesting. They should also make the wells operational in the city by repairing and cleaning them," Nikam said.
By the time the BMC takes a final nod from the state government, half of September would pass by and the monsoon will also come to an end, the Congress corporator lamented.
Last week, the BMC announced that cloud seeding would be carried out from September 1 to 28.
It will be done in all the catchment areas which supply water to Mumbai, but mainly at Vaitarna and Bhatsa dams, where rainfall has been low.
The civic body has also expressed confidence that the method would work and help resolve water woes.
Cloud seeding, a form of intentional weather modification, involves dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation leading to precipitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future