BMC staff strike on; no headway in talks
Mumbai: The strike by employees of the
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), members of the
Municipal Mazdoor Union headed by Sharad Rao, entered second
day on Tuesday, amid criticism that they were holding Mumbaikars
The absence of nurses and ward boys at municipal
hospitals owing to the strike has caused hardship for
Industries minister Narayan Rane, speaking to
reporters here, said Rao was holding Mumbai to ransom with the
Talks between Rao, who belongs to NCP and Deputy CM
Ajit Pawar today were inconclusive.
The strike will continue if demands for a hike in
wages are not met by the civic administration, Rao said. He
alleged that the civic administration had failed to revise the
employees` wages despite an assurance given on August 27.
He said employees had lost faith in Municipal
Commissioner Subodh Kumar and will have further negotiations
only in the presence of Ajit Pawar and Shiv Sena executive
president Uddhav Thackeray.
The strike has affected essential services such as
water supply, health, Fire Brigade and conservancy.
The authorities have decided to press state home
guards, civil defence labourers and NGO workers into action in
view of the strike so that essential services like water
supply are not affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read