BMC to waive burial charges
Mumbai: The local civic body has decided to
waive the charges for burying dead bodies at Hindu
crematoriums and Christian cemeteries in the metropolis.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), which has
already waived the charges for burial in Muslim cemeteries,
has now decided to extend the benefit to Hindus and Christians
The proposal, to be tabled before the Standing Committee
for approval on Friday, has already been approved by the
The BMC charges Rs 75 for the burial of an adult and
Rs 20 for child. It supplies firewood free in Hindu
There are 43 Hindu crematoriums and seven Christian
cemeteries in the city. Though most Hindus cremate dead
bodies, there are some who bury the dead.
There had been demands from corporators to waive the
charges for burial in Hindu crematoriums.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore