BMC yet to recover arrears over Rs 2,700 crores
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal
Corporation having an annual budget of over Rs 26,000, has
been struggling to recover arrears to the tune of Rs
2,787 crore till March 2012 from various sources.
The arrears include rent from leaseholders of civic
property, penalties and excess payments from contractors
and premiums from developers.
According to officials from Municipal Chief Auditors
department, the BMC could have used this money to construct
number of tunnels to connect water pipelines in order to
resolve city`s growing water woes apart from several
infrastructure projects undertaken by the civic body.
"The outstanding amount was revealed in an internal audit
test report submitted by the chief auditor`s department to the
standing committee recently," they said.
Also, the civic-administration is planning to shut the
Municipal Chief Auditors department.
"Additional Municipal Commissioner (Projects), Rajeev
Jalota issued a circular on January 5, stating that they are
either planning to shut the department or it will be merged
with any other department," officials said.
"We have apprised the standing committee on the issue,
which in return has written a letter to Jalota, seeking
an explaination in this regard," they added.
The officials also alleged that since 1997, examination
for senior auditors have not been conducted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know