Bogus ration cards: Bombay HC raps police, asks CID to probe
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked
the state CID to conduct probe into the fake ration card scam,
allegedly done to garner votes during Lok Sabha polls.
Though chargesheet has been filed by the Navi Mumbai
police in this case, division bench of Justices B H Marlapalle
and R Y Ganoo noted that no attempt was made to find out the
"party, organisation or individual" behind the procurement.
The judges observed that the same investigation
officer should be asked to carry out further probe, but
"having regard to the spirit in which probe was conducted", it
should be handed over to the state CID.
The Court asked CID chief to appoint an ACP-level
officer for the probe, and has sought first report on January
The Court`s directions came after it heard on the
petition filed by Shirish Gharat, a Navi Mumbai-based Shiv
Sena worker, who had sought a CBI probe.
Police arrested one Dinesh Patel and recovered 5,000
bogus cards from him on Gharat`s complaint in May, but he
alleged that since then the probe has slowed down.
It has been alleged that bogus ration cards were
procured to facilitate bogus voting in the Lok Sabha elections
in Navi Mumbai area.
In 2009 Lok Sabha polls, the state election commission
had allowed the use of ration cards as identity proof for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!