Bogus ration cards: Bombay HC wants to see a sample card
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday
directed Maharashtra Government to produce a sample ration
card, while hearing a petition on alleged use of fake cards
during the Lok Sabha polls.
A Division Bench of Justices B H Marlapalle and R Y
Ganoo was hearing the petition of Shirish Gharat, a Navi
Mumbai-based Shiv Sena worker, alleging use of bogus ration
cards by NCP workers during the Lok Sabha election.
The court has sought names of two CID officers with a
view to transfer the investigation, said P M Pradhan, the
counsel for the petitioner.
According to the petitioner, NCP workers procured fake
ration cards to facilitate bogus voting in the April polls.
Navi Mumbai Police arrested one Dinesh Patel and
recovered 5,000 bogus cards from him, the petition says.
Patel told police that Santosh Mhatre, an NCP worker,
had placed the order for bogus cards, and he had been asked to
deliver them at `White House` building, which houses a company
owned by State NCP Minister Ganesh Naik, it said. Naik`s son
Sanjeev won the Lok Sabha seat from Thane.
However, after Patel`s arrest, the probe slowed down,
the petition alleged, seeking a CBI inquiry.
In the polls, the Election Commission had allowed the
use of ration cards as an identity proof for voters.
Hearing has been adjourned till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview