Bombay HC allows allotment of flats in controversial building
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday gave nod for allotment of 35 flats in a 12-storey residential building in south Mumbai, meant for high court judges and IAS officers.
The building is a part of Rocky Hills Complex at Napean Sea Road which houses high court judges.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice MS Sanklecha allowed the Maharashtra government to allot the flats subject to the court`s final decision on a PIL alleging violation of Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) norms and other rules/laws in its construction.
In 2009, the HC admitted the PIL filed by New Shri Sagar Co-operative Housing Society and restrained the government from allotting flats, but did not stay the construction.
In 2011, the government filed an application seeking permission to allot flats as the construction was complete.
Government pleader DN Nalavade today said the building fell under a CRZ exception provision.
The building was caught up in a controversy as the Maharashtra government went ahead with the construction despite high court stating in 2006 that it did not want the quarters of its judges.
However, in 2008, when more judges were appointed, Shekhar Naphade, senior counsel for the high court, informed the division bench headed by Justice JN Patel that additional 14 accommodations were required for the judges.
According to the PIL, there were several irregularities and violation of rules by the state government and Mumbai municipal corporations in allowing construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur