Bombay HC allows allotment of flats in controversial building
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday gave nod for allotment of 35 flats in a 12-storey residential building in south Mumbai, meant for high court judges and IAS officers.
The building is a part of Rocky Hills Complex at Napean Sea Road which houses high court judges.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice MS Sanklecha allowed the Maharashtra government to allot the flats subject to the court`s final decision on a PIL alleging violation of Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) norms and other rules/laws in its construction.
In 2009, the HC admitted the PIL filed by New Shri Sagar Co-operative Housing Society and restrained the government from allotting flats, but did not stay the construction.
In 2011, the government filed an application seeking permission to allot flats as the construction was complete.
Government pleader DN Nalavade today said the building fell under a CRZ exception provision.
The building was caught up in a controversy as the Maharashtra government went ahead with the construction despite high court stating in 2006 that it did not want the quarters of its judges.
However, in 2008, when more judges were appointed, Shekhar Naphade, senior counsel for the high court, informed the division bench headed by Justice JN Patel that additional 14 accommodations were required for the judges.
According to the PIL, there were several irregularities and violation of rules by the state government and Mumbai municipal corporations in allowing construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...