Bombay HC allows Sadhvi Pragya to convert her bail petition into appeal
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday allowed Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, to convert her bail petition into an appeal in keeping with an apex court order.
Thakur had earlier filed a bail petition, which was heard by a single judge and order was to be pronounced.
But in the meanwhile Supreme Court held that all the matters arising out of investigation by National Investigation Agency should be treated by the High Courts as appeals and should be heard by a division bench.
The apex court gave this ruling on NIA`s plea challenging two bail orders -- one by Bombay High Court and another by Andhra Pradesh High Court.
Supreme Court, on September 13, said in all the matters in which bail is granted or rejected by a Special NIA Court, the aggrieved party can challenge it it the form of a Criminal Appeal. Accordingly, division bench headed by Justice P V Hardas today allowed Thakur to amend her petition.
The division bench would hear the appeal (bail plea) next week, said her lawyer Ganesh Sovani.
Sadhvi is accused of hatching the conspiracy with others which led to September 29, 2008 blast at Malegaon in Nashik district in which six persons died. She was arrested on October 23, 2008.
She has sought bail on the ground that she is suffering from spondylitis and other ailments for which hospitalisation is needed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you