Bombay HC allows Sadhvi Pragya to convert her bail petition into appeal
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday allowed Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, to convert her bail petition into an appeal in keeping with an apex court order.
Thakur had earlier filed a bail petition, which was heard by a single judge and order was to be pronounced.
But in the meanwhile Supreme Court held that all the matters arising out of investigation by National Investigation Agency should be treated by the High Courts as appeals and should be heard by a division bench.
The apex court gave this ruling on NIA`s plea challenging two bail orders -- one by Bombay High Court and another by Andhra Pradesh High Court.
Supreme Court, on September 13, said in all the matters in which bail is granted or rejected by a Special NIA Court, the aggrieved party can challenge it it the form of a Criminal Appeal. Accordingly, division bench headed by Justice P V Hardas today allowed Thakur to amend her petition.
The division bench would hear the appeal (bail plea) next week, said her lawyer Ganesh Sovani.
Sadhvi is accused of hatching the conspiracy with others which led to September 29, 2008 blast at Malegaon in Nashik district in which six persons died. She was arrested on October 23, 2008.
She has sought bail on the ground that she is suffering from spondylitis and other ailments for which hospitalisation is needed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Please do not speculate: Police to commentators
- German president 'horrified' by 'murderous attack' in Munich
- Munich newspaper says has unconfirmed report one shooter dead
- Indian consulate in Munich puts out advisory
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman