Bombay HC allows Savarkar function at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Wednesday allowed a
city-based cultural association to hold a musical programme at
Shivaji Park ground here to commemorate the centenary of Veer
Savarkar`s attempt in 1910 to escape while he was being taken
to Andaman prison.
Earlier, as the High Court had directed the Municipal
Corporation of Greater Mumbai to declare the park area as
`silence zone`, the civic body had revoked the permission for
The programme, which will take place on 30th of this
month, is being organised by Venus Association, which had
moved the High Court seeking relaxation in the rule.
The vacation bench of Justices S J Kathawala and R G
Ketkar said that Savarkar was a "stalwart" and a "hero" and
exception could be made in this case.
The High Court, in its original order on a PIL that
sought silence zone status for the park, had already allowed
functions to mark Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar`s death anniversary to
be held at the venue.
"If exception can carved out for Dr Ambedkar, why not for
Veer Savarkar? Both were stalwarts," the court said, asking
MCGM to give all the necessary permissions.
However, the court made it clear that exception is being
made only for May 30th function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India