Bombay HC allows Savarkar function at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Wednesday allowed a
city-based cultural association to hold a musical programme at
Shivaji Park ground here to commemorate the centenary of Veer
Savarkar`s attempt in 1910 to escape while he was being taken
to Andaman prison.
Earlier, as the High Court had directed the Municipal
Corporation of Greater Mumbai to declare the park area as
`silence zone`, the civic body had revoked the permission for
The programme, which will take place on 30th of this
month, is being organised by Venus Association, which had
moved the High Court seeking relaxation in the rule.
The vacation bench of Justices S J Kathawala and R G
Ketkar said that Savarkar was a "stalwart" and a "hero" and
exception could be made in this case.
The High Court, in its original order on a PIL that
sought silence zone status for the park, had already allowed
functions to mark Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar`s death anniversary to
be held at the venue.
"If exception can carved out for Dr Ambedkar, why not for
Veer Savarkar? Both were stalwarts," the court said, asking
MCGM to give all the necessary permissions.
However, the court made it clear that exception is being
made only for May 30th function.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living