Bombay HC asks Centre to comply with SC orders on Vohra report
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today directed
the Centre to comply with Supreme Court`s 1997 orders on
implementation of N N Vohra report on nexus between mafia,
politicians and bureaucracy.
The Vohra Committee was set up in 1993 after the Mumbai
serial blasts. The report came out in the same year.
The court issued the directions while dismissing a PIL
against Narayan Rane, state minister and Congress leader, over
his remarks that some politicians provided support to
terrorists in the 26/11 attacks.
Purushottam Barde, Shiv Sena activist, had filed this
PIL, contending that Rane`s statement must be probed, and he
must reveal the names of these politicians.
Rane had later said, in his affidavit as reply to the
PIL, that he was not referring to any person, but was talking
about Vohra report of 1993.
Thereafter, the High Court asked the Centre to explain as
what action was taken on the Vohra report.
Today, division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and V
K Tahilramani dismissed the PIL, as two similar PILs,seeking
questioning of Rane, had been dismissed by another bench
The court also referred to statement mady by ACP Ashok
Durafe that no politicians were found to be involved in the
November 26 attack.
Way back in 1997, Supreme Court had directed, in response
to a PIL seeking implementation of Vohra report, that a high
powered committee be set up to monitor investigation of nexus
between mafia, politicians and bureaucracy.
While declining to entertain the PIL, the court today
regretted that Union government`s lawyer did not provide any
information as to implementation of Vohra report.
"It is unfortunate that Union of India should not inform
this court as to what steps it has taken pursuant to Supreme
"We hope and trust Union has in fact taken necessary
steps ... if there is any laxity, then Union of India should
expedite its action and ensure total compliance with Supreme
Court`s order," the judges said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre