Bombay HC asks mobile cos to give info in Gupta fake encounter case

The Bombay High Court today asked all the major mobile service providers to provide information about telephone calls made by the suspects in the Ram Narain Gupta fake encounter case.

Last Updated: Aug 17, 2010, 00:44 AM IST

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today asked
all the major mobile service providers to provide information
about telephone calls made by the suspects in the Ram Narain
Gupta fake encounter case.

The service providers are to make the data available
"as expeditiously as possible and preferably within four
weeks", the division bench of B H Marlapalle and Anup Mohta
said.

The court was hearing the petition filed by advocate R
V Gupta, Ramnarain alias Lakhan`s brother.

Ramnarain was killed by police team headed by
"encounter specialist" Pradeep Sharma in November 2006. After
his brother filed petition seeking inquiry, the High Court
appointed a Special Investigation Team.

The SIT today filed a progress report. Public
Prosecutor Pandurang Pol said two police constables, Arvind
Sarwankar and Sandip Sardar, were still absconding. Both of
them have been suspended.

Twelve police personnel, including inspector Sharma,
have been arrested in this case so far. The matter has been
adjourned for five weeks.

-PTI