Bombay HC extends order to allow Bhupen Dalal move the Supreme Court
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has extended its order to allow Bhupen Dalal, stock broker, convicted in a 1995 case under the special act for his alleged role in the securities scam, to move the Supreme court for permission to go abroad.
Hearing the plea of Dalal, Justice Abhay Thipsay ruled that the earlier order of February 28, 2014, may be extended till August 14. This order had allowed Dalal to go abroad.
The court made it clear that since an appeal filed by Dalal against his conviction is pending before the Supreme Court, he ought to seek a permission from the apex Court for departing from India.
Dalal pleaded that it would take him some time to move the Supreme Court and in the meantime he sought extension of an earlier order of the High Court of February 28 allowing him to go abroad.
The High Court said this was quite reasonable and extended its order till August 14 but asked Dalal to move the Supreme Court for such relief as his appeal was pending in that court.
The court noted that Dalal was convicted on January 18 and his position cannot be said to have improved after his conviction.
As Dalal pointed out that he had been allowed to go abroad by an order dated February 28, the court said that it was inclined to extend the order by few days so that he can move the Supreme Court as pleaded by him.
The trial court had on November 26, 2013, asked Dalal not to go abroad without permission. Two months later he was convicted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’