Bombay HC imposes costs on Caste Scrutiny Committee
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has held
that a girl -- who lost two jobs because she had no caste
validity certificate -- is entitled to get compensation from
Caste Scrutiny Committee.
Pulling up the committee for not taking decision in
time, Court imposed a cost of Rs 25,000 on Committee members.
Petitioner Vaishali Suryavanshi, member of `Tokare
Koli` community, a Scheduled Tribe, had applied to Committee
for Scrutiny and Verification of Tribe Claims, at Nandurbar
for getting a caste verification certificate.
In 2008, she filed a petition, as committee had not
decided her case. Court, in April last year, asked the
Committee to dispose of her application in two months.
But still, the Committee failed to act. In the
meanwhile, she cleared an examination for the post of clerk at
Co-operative Societies Registrar`s office, and was selected in
the reserved category. She was also selected for clerk`s post
in General Administration Department in Mantralaya.
But she could not get either of the jobs, because she
had no verified caste certificate to prove her ST status.
Division bench of Chief Justice Swatanter Kumar and
Justice A M Khanwilkar held that a "sense of public
accountability is lacking in the members of the Committee".
Asking Committee to pay Rs 25,000 to her as costs,
court asked it to verify her caste certificate in four weeks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents