Bombay HC mulls broadcast of proceedings
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court is mulling the idea of having its proceedings telecast outside, in a waiting room, to reduce the number of persons inside the courtroom, in the wake of the recent Delhi High Court blast.
The High Court has asked the Registrars (Legal and Information Technology) to check the feasibility of the idea.
"Incoming crowds can be controlled if proceedings are recorded and displayed (telecast) outside in a waiting room or at home. Considering what happened outside Delhi High Court, this method can ensure smaller crowds," Justice RC Chavan
said while hearing an application filed by social worker Indur Chhugani.
Chhugani has demanded that court should videograph hearing of his petition challenging the election of Congress MP Priya Dutt, to ensure "transparency and fair play".
Chavan said the court has also sought opinions of the Advocate General and the Chairman of State Bar Council and they along with the Registrars have been asked to submit their replies by September 26.
"The Registrar (IT) has to ascertain the type of equipment that would be required for videographing, cost, and the time to get courts ready. The Registrar (Legal) is to take up the task of checking the modalities and feasibility," he said.
The issue is important and the application (by Chhugani) has far-reaching effects. Every action of the court should be recorded. This would also involve scrutiny of the conduct of all persons present in court, Chavan said.
He further said if proceedings were recorded, the judges would also be happy, as there would "not be any allegations against them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video