Bombay HC mulls broadcast of proceedings
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court is mulling the idea of having its proceedings telecast outside, in a waiting room, to reduce the number of persons inside the courtroom, in the wake of the recent Delhi High Court blast.
The High Court has asked the Registrars (Legal and Information Technology) to check the feasibility of the idea.
"Incoming crowds can be controlled if proceedings are recorded and displayed (telecast) outside in a waiting room or at home. Considering what happened outside Delhi High Court, this method can ensure smaller crowds," Justice RC Chavan
said while hearing an application filed by social worker Indur Chhugani.
Chhugani has demanded that court should videograph hearing of his petition challenging the election of Congress MP Priya Dutt, to ensure "transparency and fair play".
Chavan said the court has also sought opinions of the Advocate General and the Chairman of State Bar Council and they along with the Registrars have been asked to submit their replies by September 26.
"The Registrar (IT) has to ascertain the type of equipment that would be required for videographing, cost, and the time to get courts ready. The Registrar (Legal) is to take up the task of checking the modalities and feasibility," he said.
The issue is important and the application (by Chhugani) has far-reaching effects. Every action of the court should be recorded. This would also involve scrutiny of the conduct of all persons present in court, Chavan said.
He further said if proceedings were recorded, the judges would also be happy, as there would "not be any allegations against them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued