Bombay HC mulls broadcast of proceedings
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court is mulling the idea of having its proceedings telecast outside, in a waiting room, to reduce the number of persons inside the courtroom, in the wake of the recent Delhi High Court blast.
The High Court has asked the Registrars (Legal and Information Technology) to check the feasibility of the idea.
"Incoming crowds can be controlled if proceedings are recorded and displayed (telecast) outside in a waiting room or at home. Considering what happened outside Delhi High Court, this method can ensure smaller crowds," Justice RC Chavan
said while hearing an application filed by social worker Indur Chhugani.
Chhugani has demanded that court should videograph hearing of his petition challenging the election of Congress MP Priya Dutt, to ensure "transparency and fair play".
Chavan said the court has also sought opinions of the Advocate General and the Chairman of State Bar Council and they along with the Registrars have been asked to submit their replies by September 26.
"The Registrar (IT) has to ascertain the type of equipment that would be required for videographing, cost, and the time to get courts ready. The Registrar (Legal) is to take up the task of checking the modalities and feasibility," he said.
The issue is important and the application (by Chhugani) has far-reaching effects. Every action of the court should be recorded. This would also involve scrutiny of the conduct of all persons present in court, Chavan said.
He further said if proceedings were recorded, the judges would also be happy, as there would "not be any allegations against them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report